[helpie_notices group_id=’4’/]

Frequently Asked Questions

  • Does my child need a water bottle?

    Yes! It is important your child has a water bottle each day which is filled with clean water at home.

  • What time does school start and finish?

    Children in Reception – Year 6 are invited to arrive in school before the register from 8:45am.

    We operate this staggered drop off to assist parents/carers and reduce traffic congestion.

    The school gates close shortly after 9am.



    Morning Nursery hours are from 8.45am – 11.45 am

    Afternoon Nursery hours are from 12.30pm – 3.30pm

  • What happens if my child is late for school?

    Children who arrive at school after 9.00 am on a morning will have a late after registration mark recorded.

    If you are running late please contact the office on 01642 646001

  • Do you have a school uniform?

    It is our policy that all children should wear school uniform when attending school, or when participating in a school organised event outside normal school hours.

    • School Jumper or Cardigan with Embroidered logo
    • Tie (Full or elasticated)
    • Blazers and other logoed items are available but are not compulsory.
    • PE Polo Shirt with Embroidered logo

    Parents/carers may then choose to purchase the remaining items as before, from local supermarkets and other high street stores.

    • White Shirt
    • Black school type shoes
    • White/Grey Socks
    • Girls Gingham Dress – Blue (Summer)
    • Grey trousers/Skirt
  • What should my child wear for PE?

    PE kit consists of plimsolls/trainers, a logoed grey polo shirt and plain black or white shorts. School also recommends a dark plain tracksuit for outdoor PE during the cooler winter months.

  • What if something gets lost?

    We strongly urge all parents to label all items of their children’s clothing as this assists when items of uniform are lost during the day.

    We do have collections of lost property in school however it is very hard to get property back to the right owner if not named.

    Staff do not have the capacity to help track down unnamed items of property.

  • What should I put in my child’s packed lunch?

    If your child is bringing a packed lunch from home please make sure that it doesn’t contain sweets (chocolate bars etc) or fizzy drinks and that the drink is not in a glass bottle.

    Please do not send in products that contain nuts as we are a nut free school.

    Please make sure if your child has grapes that they are cut up as they are a choking hazard.

    All lunchboxes must be clearly marked with your child’s name.

  • What should I do if my child is not well?

    When your child is unwell, it can be hard deciding whether to keep them off school.

    Would you take a day off work if you had this condition? If not, send your child to school.

    Not every illness needs to keep your child from school. Use common sense when deciding whether or not your child is too ill to attend school. Ask yourself the following questions.

    • Is your child well enough to do the activities of the school day? If not, keep your child at home.
    • Does your child have a condition that could be passed on to other children or school staff? If so, keep your child at home.

    Please check the ‘Illness’ section under Parent and Carers for further guidance.

    If your child is too ill to go to school, you must phone school on   01642 646001 on the morning of the first day of absence and each day after.

  • Do you have a bike shelter on the school premises?

    Yes! Our bike shelter is available for bikes and scooters. Your child can leave the bike in the bike area each morning and collect each evening.

  • What should I do if my child is prescribed medication?

    Medicines will only be administered at school when it would be detrimental to a child’s health or school attendance not to do so.

    Where clinically possible, medicines should be prescribed in dose frequencies which enable them to be taken outside school hours.

    No student will be given prescription or non-prescription medicines without their parent’s written consent (see the main office to fill in thie relevant form) expect in exceptional circumstances where parents can give verbal consent over the telephone.

  • Can I take my child out of school for a holiday during term time?

    Parents are strongly urged to avoid making requests for leave of absence for the purpose of a family holiday during term time due to the disruption and impact of the missed education on the child.

    If parents wish to take their child out of school in term time, then they should complete a Leave of Absence form and must state in full their reasons for the absence, why they feel it is essential that it takes place during term time and if appropriate accompanied by evidence. An example of evidence in the case of a family holiday being a signed letter from an employer on letter headed paper, which states the reason why the applicant is unable to take a Leave of Absence for a family holiday during school holiday. The evidence will be taken into consideration when a decision is made. However, applicants must be aware that the submission of evidence does not automatically guarantee that the absence will be authorised or that penalty notice procedures will not be followed.

  • How will I be informed if there is an enforced school closure?

    Parents will be notified by the following information streams:


    • The Local Authority Website https://www.stockton.gov.uk/children-and-young-people/schools/finda-school-stockton-borough-and-school-closure-details/
    • Parent Pay
    • Twitter
    • School website
    • Facebook
  • Can my child walk to and from school alone?
  • I have some free time. How can I help?
  • What do spellings look like?

    Children from Year 1 to Year 6 are given spellings each week which will be tested on Friday in school. We have a range of resources that can be used but do not underestimate daily, short practices – writing out the words or spelling them outloud.

  • Are children given homework?

    All children in school are expected to complete age appropriate homework each week.

    We have a range of online resources that can be used to support homework.

    Please check our Home Learning area on our website for more information.

  • What is a reading record?

    A reading record is a way of communicating between home and school the books we are sending home, how your child is doing and anything you can do to help your child. We welcome and encourage you to record in your child’s reading record whenever you read and we recommend you read every night.

  • Can my child wear jewellery in school?

    On health and safety grounds we do not allow children to wear jewellery in our school.

    The exceptions to this rule are small (not dangling) ear-ring studs in pierced ears. Watches are also permitted. Earrings and watches must be removed during PE and games on health and safety grounds. Staff are not permitted to remove earrings. Plasters from home must be sent into school for PE lessons and sports events to cover earrings which cannot be removed for the first six weeks after piercing. School takes no responsibility for their safe keeping.

  • When does my child have PE?
  • How can I find out about what is happening in school?

    If you want to find out about upcoming events and key dates we try to give lots of notice using our newsletters,  Parent Pay, social media, Hartburn Herald and the Calendar function on the website.


    Please contact the office if your number changes or you need access to parent pay, Seesaw, etc are these are valuable communication links.

Translate »